Who we are
We are one of the country’s leading Canadian REITs and, importantly we’re community minded and committed to helping build the future of sustainable real estate. We hire people who are passionate about real estate, growing their communities, and who are committed to our values. Being supported in your professional development, having your contributions and unique talents valued, feeling a sense of challenge and purpose, and being surrounded by a highly engaged team that loves what they do are just a few of the reasons to join our growing team.
A valued member of Crombie REIT’s team, the Manager, Estimating contributes to Crombie REIT’s success by providing support to the National Construction Operations team to ensure the successful delivery of retail and residential construction projects across Canada. This role prepares cost and budget estimates, progress reports and cost tracking reports for commercial, retail and residential construction projects to aid management in determining project costs.
- Supports the National Design and Construction Team in the implementation of the construction and development strategy as it relates to construction planning, budgeting, value added costing, material sourcing and detailed estimating for major development projects.
- Provides reports to Senior Leadership on general market cost data and trends.
- Consults with key stakeholders to discuss and formulate estimates and resolve issues.
- Provides leadership and management to a team of employees.
- Ensures that all budgets and estimates are accurate and well researched based on current and historical information, reflect current trends in the market, and draw from a variety of sources.
- Keeps abreast of trends within the market relative to construction materials and construction processes.
- Analyzes blueprints, specifications, bids, quotations, and other documentation to prepare probable time, cost, materials, and labour estimates.
- Prepares estimates for use in selecting vendors or subcontractors, collecting and analyzing quotes from sub-contractors and suppliers to ensure the best deal for Crombie REIT.
- Liaises and openly communicates with engineers, contractors, consultants and other relevant parties on changes and adjustments to cost estimates.
- Prepares estimates used by management for purposes such as planning, organizing, and scheduling work.
- Prepares cost and expenditure statements and forecasts at regular intervals for the duration of the project.
- Assesses cost effectiveness of products, projects or services, tracking actual costs relative to forecasted costs as project develops.
- Sets up cost monitoring and reporting systems and procedures.
- Establishes effective working relations with all internal departments, consultants, contractors and suppliers, on which we depend for the successful execution of construction projects. Including collaboration with our joint venture partners to review budges and project costs.
- Advises on tendering procedures, examines and analyzes tenders, recommends tender awards and conducts negotiations.
- Prepares and maintains a directory of suppliers, contractors and subcontractors.
The successful candidate will have:
Our ideal candidate is a strategic and analytical thinker who can develop and collaborate to drive Crombie REIT’s success with a minimum of five years related experience in commercial and residential experience, that includes construction planning, budgeting, value added costing, material sourcing and detailed estimating for major development projects. A post-secondary degree or diploma in Architectural Engineering is preferred, with preference being given to candidates who hold designations including but not limited to PQS & GSC. Exceptional analytical, problem solving skills, ability to manage a complex workload and prioritize appropriately while leading a team of driven individuals is mandatory. Professionalism and superior communication skills, both verbal and written, are essential. The successful candidate must be a self-starter who is able to develop and build relationships internally and externally as well as the ability to maintain confidential information.
Headquartered in New Glasgow, Nova Scotia, we hire people across Canada who are passionate about real estate, growing their communities, and who are committed to our values. Crombie REIT offers flexible work schedules and location, corporate discount rates and a fast-paced working environment.
Subject: Manager, Estimating