Who we are
We are one of the country’s leading Canadian REIT’s, we’re community minded and committed to helping build the future of sustainable real estate. We hire people who are passionate about real estate, growing their communities, and who are committed to our values. Being supported in your professional development, having your contributions and unique talents valued, feeling a sense of challenge and purpose, and being surrounded by a highly engaged team that loves what they do are just a few of the reasons to join our growing team.
Reporting into the Director, Financial Reporting, the Senior Accountant is responsible for providing team leadership and financial management to a portfolio of commercial real estate properties, in our New Glasgow or Halifax Office location, duties include but are not limited to:
- Supervision of staff in the preparation of monthly/quarterly financial statements, management reports and working papers in support of quarterly and annual regulatory filings and annual audit.
- Ensuring cash flows, variances and NOI summaries are delivered in accordance with reporting deadlines.
- Assisting in the preparation of consolidated financial statements and MD&A.
- Facilitating accounting transition for acquisitions and dispositions by preparing budgets, year-end billings for dispositions and providing sound financial information to Corporate Development team.
- Working paper preparation and review in support of annual audit.
- Assisting in process improvement initiatives and maintaining an effective system of internal control.
- Timely delivery of tenant statements in accordance with project deadlines and assisting with technical accounting support as required.
- Maintaining oversight of straight line rent balances for assigned region to ensure accurate straight-line rent calculations
- Analysis of construction costs.
- Reviewing and approving ledgers and journal entries.
- Preparation of operating and fiscal budgets.
- Oversight in the preparation of annual tenant recoveries.
- Preparing internal management reports as required.
- Maintaining excellent working relationships with operational field staff and other corporate departments.
- Ownership of monthly property management meetings and providing accounting advice as required.
- Other tasks and special projects as assigned by the Director, Financial Reporting.
The profile we are looking for
The ideal candidate has five to seven years of related experience in a professional environment with a post-secondary degree in Accounting; CPA, CMA or CA designation (completed or in progress) is required. Candidates should possess exceptional analytical, problem solving skills, and ability to manage a complex workload and prioritize appropriately with experience in Microsoft Excel and Word. Experience with real estate accounting software (CTI or Yardi) would be considered an asset.
Professionalism and superior communication skills, both verbal and written, are essential. The successful candidate must be a self-starter who is able to develop team members and build relationships internally and externally as well as the ability to maintain confidential information.
Applicants interested in this opportunity are asked to submit their resume and cover letter.
Subject: Senior Accountant